An activity can be used to book unscheduled actions (such as child care visits or dental appointments). Activities block out (or reserve) periods of a resource's availability (time). Creating an activity prevents a scheduler from allocating any jobs to that resource for the duration of that activity or block of time.
All Activities View
Once in the "Activities" console, it is possible to view all upcoming or past activities (upcoming is the default view). These views can be toggled via a filter at the upper right-hand side.
Figure 1. The all activities view.
An activity can be created via the web app or via the mobile app. To create an activity from the web app:
- Click the "+" (or plus) button in the top bar at the right-hand corner of the activities console. This will launch the "Create Activity" modal.
- If the console is blank, click on the blue "Create an activity" text link at the center of the console. This will launch the "Create Activity" modal.
Figure 2. How to create an activity in the web app.
Figure 3. How to create an activity if the activities console is blank.
The following fields must be completed before the activity can be saved (fields highlighted red):
- Activity type.
- Resource (name).
- Address (the location where the activity should occur).
- Start date.
- Start time.
- End date.
- End time.
Optional fields include:
- Notes (to provide a short description of the activity being performed).
- Location (choose an existing location–will pre-fill the address if selected).
Figure 4. The create activity modal.
Default Activity Types
Activities require a type, by default the following types are available:
- Meal break.
Figure 5. The default activity types.
Add Additional Activity Types
Note: Administrators can add additional activity types to the CRM (e.g. Salesforce, ServiceNow).
Add Additional Activity Types in Salesforce
The process for adding an activity type in Salesforce is as follows:
- Navigate to the Salesforce setup page.
- Click on the "Object Manager" tab.
- Search for "Activity" and select the Skedulo activity object.
- Go to "Fields & Relationships" and select the "Type" field.
- In the "Values" section you can add and/or change the "Activity" values as required.
Figure 6. The Salesforce Setup screen.
Figure 7. The Salesforce Object Manager with a search for activity.
Figure 8. The Salesforce Object Manager with a search for type.
Figure 9. The Salesforce Object Manager type page looking at values.
View Updated Activity Types
Refresh the web application to see all changes made in the CRM.
Figure 10. A new activity type named custom activity type.
Using the swimlanes, it is possible to view all the activities associated with a resource.
Figure 11. Activities displayed on the swimlanes.
Edit an Activity
Identify the activity that you want to edit (from the list in the "Activities" console), then click on the options menu button (three vertical dots) to the right of the associated activity and select "Edit" –this will launch the activity details modal. To the bottom-left, you will find buttons to save, delete, or cancel.
Figure 13. The activity details modal.
Delete an Activity
The easiest way to delete an activity from the web app is to first select the activity (using the checkbox provided) then click on the exposed "Delete" button at the top of the activities table.
Figure 12. An upcoming activity selected for deletion.
Important! Deleted activities cannot be recovered.